Mixed: The 51st State
Source: Spirit of Chicago
This is a verbal hands-on problem. You have one minute to determine which team members will solve the problem.
JUDGE READS TO TEAM (after participants are determined):
You will have 7 minutes to complete this problem. You may talk or ask questions at any time; however, time continues. At the end of 7 minutes, you will have one minute to present your solution to be scored.
Your problem is to create a new state. You need to name it, design a symbol, a flag, a state tree, and a state song that will be sung to the judges. You must use the materials given to design you hat. No other materials may be used. At the end of time, you will have one minute to present your state information and song to the judges.
Score will be as follows:
- 1-15 points for creativity of the name
- 1-15 points for creativity of the symbol
- 1-15 points for creativity of the flag
- 1-15 points for the creativity of the tree
- 1-20 points for the creativity and presentation of the song
- 1-20 points for team work
Materials and Setup
Give each team the following materials.
- 3 piece of papers
- colored crayone, markers, or pencils
- Sticky lables
|Creativity of name||1 - 15|
|Creativity of flag||1 - 15|
|Creativity of tree||1 - 15|
|Creativity of symbo||1 - 15|
|Creativity and presentation of song||1 - 20|
|Teamwork||1 - 20|